Referral Partners that have been selected to participate in the Basic Program can submit a limited number of referrals at no cost. Referrals are contingent on OHAAT’s current funding (the more funding we have, the more beds we give away) and are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you have questions about the Basic Program, contact our office at email@example.com or 215-346-6427.
Every recipient in the Basic Program is guaranteed the following items:
Sheet sets, blankets, books, and stuffed animals may be gently-used, but all other items are new.
OHAAT does not provide cribs, toddler beds, bunk beds, or larger-size beds for Basic Program recipients. Bunk beds may be requested through the Reimbursement Program.
IN HOME DELIVERY
OHAAT volunteers deliver Bedding Packages directly to recipients living within OHAAT’s delivery area. Deliveries are made within 60 days of each request (the average wait for Basic Program referrals is 13 days). OHAAT volunteers do not assemble the beds, but they will put them in whatever room (or rooms) the client specifies.
Bedding Packages must be delivered; OHAAT does not allow pick-ups.
Referral Partner Eligibility
We interview and select referral partners for our Basic Program on an annual basis. If your organization meets the below eligibility requirements and you would like to be considered for partnership next year, please send a letter of interest via email to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will take place in October and final selection in December. Please keep in mind that organizations with an emphasis on home visits and direct housing assistance are preferred.
- Referral Partners must be 501(c)(3) nonprofits or government entities;
- they must provide direct services to low income families living in Philadelphia, Bucks or Montgomery County;
- and their representatives (e.g. social workers, case managers, etc.) must work one-on-one with clients, conducting both interviews and home visits.
- Recipients must be two to twenty years old;
- they cannot have received a bed from OHAAT in the past;
- their household income must be below the Federal Poverty Guideline;
- they must currently reside in permanent or long-term housing in OHAAT’s Delivery Area;
- their current residence must be bed bug free for at least 3 months;
- they must have had at least one home visit in the last 3 months (performed by a representative from the Referral Partner);
- and they must be sleeping with improper bedding. **
- Sleeping on the floor with blankets or a sleeping bag;
- sharing a bed with other family members;
- sleeping on an air mattress;
- sleeping on a moldy mattress;
- and sleeping on a couch, recliner, or other living room furniture.
Authorized representatives from approved Basic Program partners can refer a client at any time using our online Basic Program Client Referral Form. Referrals are contingent on OHAAT’s current funding (the more funding we have, the more beds we give away) and are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Healthy Sleep Tips
Every family that you refer to our program will get one of these handouts and a magnet and bookmark with four healthy sleep habits: go to bed at the same time every night, follow a bedtime routine, keep electronics out of the bedroom, and avoid drinks with caffeine. We encourage you to talk to the family about their sleep and how these habits can improve children’s health, behavior, and school performance. For more information about the importance of healthy sleep, visit the Healthy Sleep page of our website or Contact Us.
Bed Bugs Frequently Asked Questions
Every client that you refer to our program will get one of these handouts, and we encourage you to review it with them.
Protecting Yourself from Bed Bugs on the Job
What can you do to protect yourself? Here’s a handy PDF from our friends at the Pennsylvania Integrated Pest Management Program at Penn State. If you’re interested in learning more, check out their website.